On Tue, Sep 19, 2017 at 8:12 PM, mathieu stumpf guntz <
psychosl...@culture-libre.org> wrote:

> Well, actually, depending on what you mean with  have page parses make
> edits to the wiki, I'm not sure what I'm looking for fall under this
> umbrella.
>
> What I would like is a way to do something like
>
> local data = mw.loadData( 'Module:Name/data/entry' )
> -- do some stuff with `data`
> mw.saveData( 'Module:Name/data/entry', data)
>
> That's it.

And that, like all Scribunto modules, would run during the parse of the
page.

> If you do think it's an horrible akward awfully disgusting idea , I would
> be interested to know more technical details on what problems it might lead
> to (not the global result of nightmarish hell on earth that I'm obviously
> targeting )

Confusion for users when purging a page results in edits somewhere else.
Misattribution of the resulting edits. Opportunities for vandals to misuse
it. Performance issues. And T67258.

> Your initial idea of somehow hooking into the editor (whether that's the
> wikitext editor or VE) with JavaScript to allow humans to make edits to the
> data module while editing another page was much better.
>
> I didn't even thought about JS actually. For the wikitext removal of
> updating parameter, I had in mind some inplace template substitution.
> Does javascript allow to change an other page on the wiki, especially a
> data module, at some point when the user edit/save an article?

That's what your original message sounded like you were talking about. A
JavaScript gadget of whatever sort could make edits by using the action API.

--
Brad Jorsch (Anomie)
Senior Software Engineer