On Mon, Jun 4, 2018 at 11:54 AM, Leon Ziemba <musikani...@wikimedia.org>
wrote:

> > ... the size differences shown on the history and contributions pages,
> which is the only thing that rev_parent_id is used for
>
> This may be true in MediaWiki but not so much for external tools. I just
> wanted to preemptively say this. I'll be joining the IRC discussion to
> share more :)
>
> ~Leon

To add to Leon's use case, I would argue that it may be one use case but
it's a pretty visible one to active contributors who are familiar with the
history page. It may be worth clarifying whether this is a backend change
that would keep the feature intact or if this change would result in a
change to Wikimedia projects' user experience.