The relevant Parsoid feature request for having VE use linktrails is
https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T50463 since in general Parsoid just
generates [[Book|books]] when VE gives it `<a href="./Book">books</a>`.

If VE gives Parsoid `<a href="./Book">book</a>s` it will assume that's what
the author actually meant, and will generate `[[Book]]<nowiki/>s` using a
very general mechanism used for a number of other syntax conflicts (like if
you actually want to start a line with the literal character `*`).

I don't think the answer is to invent new syntax for linktrail separation
-- we already have quite enough different ways of escaping and/or
token-breaking already, as partially enumerated in this thread already.
The only one I would be happy to faciliatate would be `-{}-` since it is
already an odd parser corner case -- it is parsed by the wikitext
preprocessor but then spit back out as literal text by the second parsing
phase unless LanguageConverter is enabled for the specific page language.
It would simplify the parse if the LanguageConverter constructs were
"always on" instead of being en/disabled on a page-by-page basis.
  --scott

(http://cscott.net)