It might be (more) feasible to use Lua (and Extension:Scribunto) for this,
or even just templates more generally, as this allows one to define on-wiki
mechanisms dynamically in a more flexible way.

(I've not fully read the thread, apologies if this is incompatible with a
requirement, I thought I'd mention it as it seemed likely to be of use.)