On Thursday 04 January 2001 05:52, Shane Nifong wrote:
> I am new to open source so forgive me.  How do I know if someone is
> working on (or in) the sections that I want to work on?   Where I work
> we can look into our source management tool and see who is working on
> which files.  Also, if that person is changing or updating files they
> check them out and lock them.  In this HUGE open source project how do
> we keep from "stepping" on each others toes?

Well, you will step on each others toes evey now again, but everyone here is
very good about it ;-)

Its not practical to allow people to lock files for update, it really hampers
development progress. I had to do this in my last job and I spent lots of
wasted time tracking down people who'd locked files and then forgotten about
them. Plus you end up braching all the time when your fix needs to go in but
is difficult to merge with someone elses. The rate of development on Wine at
the moment precludes having many people able to write to cvs as well.

The idea instead is to do your updates locally, and produce a diff file
containing just your updates, when you are ready to commit them (WineHQ has
details of how to produce your diffs). Once sent to wine-patches they can be
peer reviewed and will be committed by Alexandre if acceptable. If a patch is
rejected, you'll usually get told why.

It isn't very common for two peoples diffs to conflict provided you create
good diffs. Universal diff format (diff -u) produces enough context for patch
to work in most cases. If another patch gets submitted first that breaks
yours, you will need to resubmit it, but this wont happen if your working on
a DLL no one else is.

To produce your steps follow the instructions at WineHQ. Basically you take
your clean, updated cvs tree and your modified tree and run diff against them.
Just be sure to make sure your patch doesn't contain the build files (.o
etc), only the actual modified source from cvs.

Hope this helps,
Jon

--
"Once you realise you're not _meant_ to fit in, it all makes sense..."
[EMAIL PROTECTED] , [EMAIL PROTECTED]