From: shakespeare-at-winedale-email-l...@googlegroups.com
[mailto:shakespeare-at-winedale-email-l...@googlegroups.com] On Behalf Of
Robert Faires
Sent: Saturday, August 12, 2017 5:58 PM
To: Clayton Stromberger <cstromber...@austin.utexas.edu>
Cc: James Ayres <jay...@cvctx.com>; Shakespeare Winedale Winedale
<shakespeare-at-winedale-email-l...@googlegroups.com>; Shakespeare at Winedale
1970-2000 alums <winedale-l@lists.wikimedia.org>
Subject: Re: The best news is . .. ..

Late arrival, as usual, but still on board for the reunion in whatever capacity
is helpful.

[(OFFSTAGE) FRANCIS!

Anon, anon, sir.]

Clayton's missive when he was on leave from the past sparked some thoughts in
my mind. With regard to meeting up in Austin before all congregate at Winedale,
I concede his point that it's a challenge to build a sense of ensemble that
way, but as a member of the weekend reunion company in 2010, I feel that we
managed to do that. Granted, we were a smallish group, but the mindset and
enthusiasm and spirit of play were all in place every time we got together, and
we had only a day or two at Winedale before we performed, but I felt that we
bonded pretty well in that time and had a lot of fun pulling our scenes
together. (God bless the late Lizz Ketterer for being such an inspiration
there.) That's to say I think meeting beforehand in Austin or elsewhere is
still worth considering as we discuss how to mine more reunion time together
out of the days leading up to the 50th.

I've also been thinking about all the alums who might not be able to set aside
a full week to spend at Winedale before the reunion but who might want to
participate in some way. What if each of those folks were assigned a sonnet or
a Kenneth Patchen poem (!), and at some point everyone who had one could
perform theirs under the pecan trees, the way the weekend reunion class did its
scenes in 2010? It'd be a nod to the early days when Doc would assign those to
students before class started and we would perform them for one another on the
first nights we were at Winedale, and it would give people a chance to feel
like they're a part of the celebration and particularly the performance aspect
of it. And since those works are short, it allows a large number of people to
take part. It might also be a cool way to include more alums from Camp
Shakespeare and James' classes as well as Doc's. Personally, I'd love to see 12
year olds interpreting sonnets alongside us AARP types. And it wouldn't
necessarily have to be all solo performances. If 2 or more alums wanted to do a
sonnet together so they could have a chance to play with someone, why not? Rob
Matney and I hosted a sonnet marathon once, with people signing up to read  the
sonnets, and it took just a couple of hours to get through all of them. Anyway,
I just throw that out there as a suggestion for giving more people a chance to
get involved and as a way to celebrate the 50th with something that hasn't ever
been done before at Winedale (to my knowledge).

Lastly, this from the late guy: How great to follow in the wake of so much
enthusiasm and shared love for this program and the grand gift Doc has given
us. Here's to making the golden anniversary gleam!

Anon, anon. I come.

On Wed, Aug 9, 2017 at 10:31 AM, Clayton Stromberger