Alex,

> Hello,
>
> I am building the application that must capture high volume
> of packets on several network devices with intensive variable load.
>
> On LINUX I can use "pcap_get_selectable_fd" and then use
> "select" to work with several devices in one thread.
>
> On Windows I have to run a separate thread and use
> pcap_next_ex for every device.
>
> Is there a possibility on Windows to capture packets on
> several devices using one thread?

On Windows, WinPcap provodes the  pcap_getevent()
(http://winpcap.polito.it/docs/docs31beta4/html/group__wpcapfunc.html#ga37)
function, that does something similar to pcap_get_selectable_fd(). I ask, by
the way, if the two functions could be unified in some way.

> Will I lose (gain) efficiency if I use one thread instead of
> many- i.e.
> can I start missing packets at high load?

As usual when you go multithread, performance depends on a lot of factors:
how well you distribute the load, how complex the code is in the two cases,
the cache usage, and so on.

Loris