        From: David Warner [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
        Sent: Monday, November 27, 2006 2:09 PM
        To: WIRELESS-LAN@LISTSERV.EDUCAUSE.EDU
        Subject: Re: [WIRELESS-LAN] SSID of "Free Public WiFi"

        If a computer were doing this, it could also be logging
sensitive data for exploitation.

        At 02:55 PM 11/27/2006, you wrote:

                I have been seeing the same SSID as well as several
others that are
                continually showing up on our network.  After further
investigation, and
                some testing to verify, I have determined that it is
caused by wireless
                profiles configured on a Windows computer.

                I set up a test using a unique broadcast SSID on an
access point, then
                connected to it with a WinXP box (which automatically
creates a wireless
                profile for that SSID).  I then shut down both the AP
and the WinXP
                client.  Using another wireless client I viewed
available wireless
                networks, the unique SSID was not seen.  I then turned
the WinXP box
                back on, without connecting to any wireless network, and
there it was,
                the unique SSID being broadcast as an Ad-Hoc network.
Turn off the XP
                box and the SSID disappears, turn it back on and there
it is again.  I
                then removed the profile for that SSID from the XP box
and the Ad-Hoc
                network never appeared again.

                Ron Robinson
                [EMAIL PROTECTED]