From: David Warner [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Monday, November 27, 2006 3:09 PM
To: WIRELESS-LAN@LISTSERV.EDUCAUSE.EDU
Subject: Re: [WIRELESS-LAN] SSID of "Free Public WiFi"

If a computer were doing this, it could also be logging sensitive data
for exploitation.

At 02:55 PM 11/27/2006, you wrote:

I have been seeing the same SSID as well as several others that are
continually showing up on our network.  After further investigation, and
some testing to verify, I have determined that it is caused by wireless
profiles configured on a Windows computer.

I set up a test using a unique broadcast SSID on an access point, then
connected to it with a WinXP box (which automatically creates a wireless
profile for that SSID).  I then shut down both the AP and the WinXP
client.  Using another wireless client I viewed available wireless
networks, the unique SSID was not seen.  I then turned the WinXP box
back on, without connecting to any wireless network, and there it was,
the unique SSID being broadcast as an Ad-Hoc network.  Turn off the XP
box and the SSID disappears, turn it back on and there it is again.  I
then removed the profile for that SSID from the XP box and the Ad-Hoc
network never appeared again.

Ron Robinson
[EMAIL PROTECTED]