From: Stoney Gan [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: March 19, 2007 12:26 PM
To: WIRELESS-LAN@LISTSERV.EDUCAUSE.EDU
Subject: Re: [WIRELESS-LAN] 802.1X Deployments

Hi, William,

Here at Syracuse University, we are still in prototype/development stage of
implementing 802.1x, but plan to roll out to the whole campus by the end of
this summer. One of the issues I have concerns is that our script of
configuring 802.1x clients for XP is still requiring the users to click on
the balloontip windows for interactions * entering the userID/password and
ack the SSL cert. We use AutoIT/Aruba for configuration script. I would
really appreciate if you could share your experience * even better your
configuration script for XP clients.

Thanks,

Stoney
(I went graduate school in Geology, my wife got her Ph.D. in MIS from UT
Austin; both of them hope that we could go back to visit together)

Stoney Q. Gan
Information Technology Manager
Information Technology and Services
Syracuse University
Phone: 315-443-1808

>>> [EMAIL PROTECTED] 03/18/07 5:30 PM >>>
We are half-way through the time period allotted for our 802.1x deployment
-- but are only at 13% adoption (out of a total of ~22K users/week).
Complete conversion is scheduled by 8/1/07.  A locally developed
web-redirect system is being utilized by the others.  The ones who have
adopted 802.1X are reportedly pleased.

Phase 1, it was first made available 11/06.  We did not make installation
scripts available, but have lots of documentation (mistake, it is not
possible for a mere mortal to follow the 15 step XP installation process).
We had flyers/notices, and offers of extra bandwidth for those that moved
(we account/limit bandwidth consumption -- ~5% through bandwidth grants).
We believe growth since December is due to word of mouth.

Now we are moving to phase 2.  Adoption is required by policy.  We developed
locally an installation application for XP users that includes service packs
related to 802.1X.  We have added an exceptions process for ill-supported
platforms so users may opt-out -- which is recorded under their signature
for later audits (and required yearly).  We will likely begin some form of
active email and web-redirect splash screen nagging April-July with
increasing intensity for users that have not moved.

Phase 3, August 1, the plan is for campus users to only be allowed to
utilize 802.1X.  The web-redirect will be reserved for guests and those who
opt out for support reasons (and we are contemplating bandwidth restrictions
presently applied to guest [256Kbps] to be extended to all users).  The
phased approach was necessary for our size.  Don't know what the fall crunch
will bring.

System updates which drop support for 802.1X (Apple on certain hardware
platforms) have been a support problem.

At 11:00 PM 3/16/2007, you wrote:
>> My questions after all this- for those who have recently moved to one
>> 802.1x in conjunction with the usual rigors of the start of a new
>> academic year- how did you transition users over to 802.1x? What worked,
>> what failed? Was there a tidal wave of support calls? Did a supplicant
>> configuration tool prove to be essential, or were instructions on
>> manually configuring the native Windows and Mac supplicants sufficient?

William C. Green                          e-mail:  [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Director, Networking                      phone:   +1 512-475-9295
ITS (Information Technology Services)     fax:     +1 512-471-2449
University of Texas
1 University Station Stop C3800
Austin, TX  78712