That's a great question. Fortunately we don't have to deal with a 6
month password change policy, but passwords do get changed and reset for
various reasons so it is still an issue.

We haven't had a chance to test this yet, but I think the issue may vary
by OS. One user informed me that he changed his password, then he was
just prompted for a new one the next time he got on 1x. He said after
that he it didn't ask again, so it must have stored the new credentials.
I forget if it was XP or Vista.

We have also considered using the IDEngines product to manage this as
well. This would mean that we would just tell the user to run the config
utility after they changed their password which would prompt them for a
new one. But again, we haven't gotten around to doing a lot of testing
yet.

Pete Morrissey

Hanset
> Sent: Tuesday, February 26, 2008 2:30 PM
> To: WIRELESS-LAN@LISTSERV.EDUCAUSE.EDU
> Subject: [WIRELESS-LAN] 802.1x and Password issues!
>
> All,
>
> How do you deal with 802.1x (eg: WPA2 EAP-PEAP) when:
>
> - your campus has a 6 months password change policy and
> - your email and 802.1x are sharing the same password (AD or LDAP) and
> - your users are storing the password on the supplicant and
> - those users don't realize that when they change their password they
have
>   to change their supplicant password as well?
>
> Experience, thoughts?
>
> Do you have a lot of calls in your help desk related to this?
> If you had this issue how did you solve it?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Philippe
>
> ----------------------------------
> Philippe Hanset
> University of Tennessee, Knoxville
> Office of Information Technology
> Network Services
>
> On Thu, 21 Feb 2008, Jon Freeman wrote:
>
> > FYI - this configuration does not conform to the 802.11
specifications.

> > Regards,
> > Jon
> > 303-808-2666