-----Original Message-----
From: The EDUCAUSE Wireless Issues Constituent Group Listserv
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Philippe Hanset
Sent: Tuesday, April 01, 2008 10:41 AM
To: WIRELESS-LAN@LISTSERV.EDUCAUSE.EDU
Subject: Re: [WIRELESS-LAN] Aruba's SCA vs. MCA whitepaper [was: Open
Wireless in Higher Ed]

Somehow I was expecting this ;-)

If time permits, we will try to really formalize it...
Our intention is really to measure if there is a noticeable difference
between Meru and Aruba (and maybe between Cisco and Aruba). Since we
already acquired Aruba Controllers for our Dorms, we are "hooked",
only a true advantage from another vendor would make us switch!
I can already tell you that we never exceed 80 Mbps download on either
one
of them (Aruba or Meru), using TTCP (memory to memory) on a Macbook Pro
(Linksys adapters are slower) and that uploads are more around 30 Mbps
or less.
(APs are connected to Gig ports, using Gig capable midspan and regular
802.3af power, the TTCP receiving unit is non-limiting)

BTW: have you seen the size of those Meru and Cisco
APs...I'm not sure where to fit that in our drop ceilings, seriously!

Side note again: One thing is sure, Controller Based Architectures are
really good at hooking you up then nickeling and diming you to death!
(AP license, IDS license, Firewall license, number of admin on system
license, buy licenses for the redundant units as well...)
I wonder what experience people have with Monitored Architectures like
Colubris or what Proxim is developing these days?

Philippe
Univ. of TN

On Tue, 1 Apr 2008, Don Wright wrote:

> Hi Philippe,
>             We'd be very interested, as others are I'm sure to hear
what you
> find out from your testing.
> --
> Don Wright
> Brown University
> CIS - NTG
>

> On 4/1/08 10:53 AM, "Philippe Hanset" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> > Dave,
> >
> > At Univ of TN, our intention is to deploy 802.11n capable APs where
our
> > 802.11b/g AP are located right now, use one radio at 2.4 GHz (b/g
only,
> > no n) the second radio at 5 GHz (n and a).
> > This should provide a decent access for b/g users and a fast lane
for n
> > users.
> > I'm not sure that best effort on b/g will be good enough when you
consider
> > devices like Iphones or future Voice over WiFi devices.
> >
> > One aspect of this kind of approach will be the performance of
coverage
> > algorithms. n has such a wierd shape compared to b/g or a...I'm a
little
> > suspicious as how vendors will deal with n's behavior!
> >
> > As a side note:
> > We are testing in our info-commons (the worse enviroment you can
> > think of...tons of users and tons of APs) 802.11n APs from Aruba
> > and Meru (we have just replaced locations of our existing Proxim APs
> > with the test APs, and those n APs are surrounded by legacy Proxim
APs as
> > well)
> > One week with Aruba, one week with Meru. We might test Cisco...TBD.
> > Our main issue is to get enough people with 802.11n adapters, so we
> > loaded our loaners laptop (30+...very successfull program BTW) with
> > external 802.11n adapters (USB 2.0, Linksys).
> >

> > Philippe
> >

> >> Although the issue of co-channel interference is an important one,
I think
> >> it may be reasonable to assert that its importance will be reduced
with the
> >> adoption of 5 GHz 802.11n. With over 20 non-overlapping channels, I
believe
> >> it will be possible to design high-density, micro-cellular WLANs
that do not
> >> suffer from performance degradation as a resulting of co-channel
> >> interference. Over time, I believe 2.4 GHz will be thought of as a
> >> best-effort legacy technology for most enterprises. I'd be curious
how
> >> others are viewing this.
> >>
> >> dm

Spurgeon
> >> Sent: Monday, March 31, 2008 4:31 PM
> >> To: WIRELESS-LAN@LISTSERV.EDUCAUSE.EDU
> >> Subject: Re: [WIRELESS-LAN] Aruba's SCA vs. MCA whitepaper [was:
Open
> >> Wireless in Higher Ed]

> >> co-channel
> >> architectures
> >> tools
> >>
> >> I, for one, would like to see more vendors step up and do the kind
of
> >> testing of co-channel interference issues that was described in the
> >> recent Novarum whitepaper:
> >> http://www.novarum.com/documents/WLANScaleTesting.pdf
> >>
> >> As a user of typical multi-channel equipment, I'm not focussed on
the
> >> SCA versus MCA debate. Instead, I would very much like to see more
> >> real-world test results on how the typical multiple APs on multiple
> >> channels (MCA) approach works at scale and under traffic loads.
> >>
> >> I think it's very interesting that the author of the Novarum
> >> whitepaper is also one of the developers of the 802.11 MAC, and
that
> >> he states that he was "surprised at how easily we could drive these
> >> systems to unstable behavior."
> >>
> >> I've heard complaints from the vendors whose gear was used in the
> >> Novarum test. But I haven't seen any third-party tests commissioned
by
> >> those vendors to replicate the tests and show where the problems
were
> >> in the Novarum tests.
> >>
> >> I would be much more impressed by actual third-party test results
> >> based on a significant scale layout like the one used in the
Novarum