From: The EDUCAUSE Wireless Issues Constituent Group Listserv [mailto:[EMAIL
PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Brooks, Stan
Sent: Thursday, May 29, 2008 10:52 AM
To: WIRELESS-LAN@LISTSERV.EDUCAUSE.EDU
Subject: Re: [WIRELESS-LAN] Using Private IP addresses for wireless users.

Neil,

At Emory, we've been NAT'ing wireless users since last fall - ResNet users
since before move in weekend, and regular academic users since last fall break.
 We've not had any issues from the users that have been NAT'ed.

By far the more complicated NAT was ResNet as we use NetReg and CAT for network
access control and scanning.  We end up internally routing the NAT addresses
for NetReg - it hands out the DHCP addresses.  Once a ResNet client gets an IP
address, the NAT function is handled by our Aruba controllers.  On the academic
side, the controllers themselves handle DHCP for the wireless users along with
NAT'ing the traffic.

We have 4 class C non-routeable subnets per controller (4 ResNet controllers
and 6 Academic controllers).  The Aruba gear will load-balance users across
those subnets for us.  The Aruba gear also NATs the traffic though a pool of
(routeable) addresses.

IDS is handled by Tipping Points on the (routeable) network, just like any
wired device.

We don't have any way of easily tying a user/session on the non-routeable
subnets to an IP on the routeable network.  We can see the session as it
happens, but there is not good way to go back through the logs and determine
that this user hit a particular IP address on the Internet.  To date, we
haven't needed to.

We originally moved to NAT because of scarce IP resources, and the number of
wireless users was increasing at alarming rates.  With NAT'ed IP addresses, we
can support huge numbers of wireless users and ease some of the pressure on our
allocated IP addresses.  We felt and still feel that the benefits outweigh the
problems with tracking individual users.

 >>-> Stan Brooks - CWNA/CWSP
      Emory University
      Network Communications Division
      404.727.0226
      [EMAIL PROTECTED]
AIM: WLANstan  Yahoo!: WLANstan  MSN: [EMAIL PROTECTED]