From: The EDUCAUSE Wireless Issues Constituent Group Listserv [mailto:[EMAIL
PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Karl Reuss
Sent: Tuesday, July 01, 2008 9:51 AM
To: WIRELESS-LAN@LISTSERV.EDUCAUSE.EDU
Subject: Re: [WIRELESS-LAN] NAT in large scale wireless networks

Last academic year we ran NAT on our main wireless network.  We had
about 13,000 unique users per day and about 8,000 simultaneous
connections at peak times, roughly 95% student traffic. It worked,
but there were a couple of issues for us:

1) Picking the correct NAT box.   Catalysts 6500s do wirespeed
NAT, but they can't keep up with the number of new connections
per second.  A single ASA5550 handled the job well, now we have
a pair.

2) The NAT logs are enormous.  Finding space to keep them is
fun, going through them to find incidents is painful.

We did NAT because we added wireless to our dorms last year
and we weren't sure what the pace of our rollout would be, or how
fast the users would migrate over.  We didn't want to be shuffling
IP ranges all year.  We'll be going back to fixed IP addresses
next year for most wireless use.

-Karl Reuss
  University of Maryland, College Park