We benchmarked a Cisco 1142 and an Aruba AP125 (both controller based) a while
back. They had basically identical performance, although they did vary a bit
depending on how many concurrent traffic streams you had, how many clients you
had, whether traffic was uni- or bi-directional etc. One vendor was better at
one thing, the other at another, but neither did clearly better or worse at the
end.

Obviously, you run into issues such as being able to utilize both 2.4 and 5 Ghz
bands to spread the load, possible interference from within or outside of the
room, client capabilities etc. If the client doesn't have enough chains,
there's not much you can do on the AP end to change that. One big tweak is to
kill all the slower legacy protocols and transmit rates if you can, and
minimize any multicast / broadcast traffic making it onto the air. Also, if you
can deploy multiple APs to further reduce the number of clients per AP /
channel, the more bandwidth you have per client.

Also, considering you're within a room, you probably do not want to be running
full power, so even 15.4W of PoE ought to allow for all chains to operate with
both vendors, but you might want to confirm that.

--
Toivo Voll
University of South Florida