It's unlikely that QoS is going to solve this problem unless you can properly
classify the backup data from everything else. Depending on the age/type of the
AP, it's firmware, and the clients connected to it, ensuring fair use of the
radio may be more of a problem than the amount of traffic being passed. Packet
shaping is one alternative, but that's assuming it's a data capacity and not a
radio fairness issue.

You may simply be at the point of exceeding your current wireless design, and
it may be time to look at a upgrading to 802.11n, increasing AP density, or a
combination of both.

In my residential areas, since 2003 we've provide wired gigabit connections to
our students, yet they prefer the freedom of our WiFi network. Given the trend,
we designed and deployed our new WiFi network with capacity and not coverage as
the primary factor. The design resulted in a dense AP deployment, providing a
dual-channal 802.11n AP per ~7-12 residential students.

A dual-channel AP per ~7-12 users may seem excessive to some, but the reality
is that WiFi is now the primary/only network for the majority of our students,
and as such, it needs to perform at an appropriate level. If a student want's
to transfer 1TB or data, stream movies, edit photoshop files, etc. the wireless
design/network shouldn't be a limiting factor.

Jeff

>>> "Urrea, Nick"  04/22/10 9:47 AM >>>
We are experiencing a problem in our dorm where one wireless user will
use all of the Available bandwidth on an 802.11g Autonomous AP's radio.
We are currently using a Bluecoat Packeteer packet shaper to shape
traffic at the Internet. The problem I have seen is with user on-line
backups, either to a Time Capsule (student moved a terabyte of data in a
month) or to (mozy, Backblaze, etc.). We receive complainants that the
Internet is slow. I am new to setting up QoS on cisco devices.

Is there a way of limiting through QoS on an AP, so that if a student is
using all of the radio's bandwidth other users using the same AP have a
fair share of bandwidth?

I would prefer not to rip and replace our 802.11g APs for 802.11N APs.

Any other ideas are welcomed.

Nicholas Urrea

Information Technology

UC Hastings College of the Law