On Nov 19, 2010, at 1:08 PM, Greg Schaffer wrote:

> Oh, I don't think it's worth it; I believe this to be an instruction issue,
> but there are good points on both sides.
>
> Wouldn't need re-authentication; just some method of kicking off those
> authenticated users at specified times.  I'm not a programmer, nor do I know
> if this is done in any product, but I'd think it would be possible to do.
>
> The sharing of access creds is a good point.  BUT, if the authentication was
> by machine and not user, that would go far in solving that issue.  For
> example, Enterasys NAC authenticates on MAC address that has been registered
> by a user.  SO the algorithm would be look at class list, look at student
> user id, look at MAC(s) registered, perform individual block action.

  MAC addresses are easily changed/spoofed on modern laptops, probably not as
easily spoofed on smartphones though yet (or is there already and app for that?)

  Two factor identification would be more robust than machine identification.
Students might be less likely to share smartcards or other physical devices
than simple passwords.