I think there are some merits to your perspective but I don't think you can
solve this problem with technology. We've tried clickers before and they
provide for some interesting interaction in some courses, but it's
logistically complex for academic units, especially in courses that have a
significant number of non-majors who resent having to buy a clicker for one
course. It also requires different pedagogical approaches that may or may
not be appropriate depending on instructor teaching style. I could see this
being effective in institutions where you can get a large percentage of
faculty to buy into it.

Many instructors choose to tolerate laptops as a freedom of choice for
students, who should be mature enough to make responsible decisions. It's up
to the student to decide whether they attend class or pay attention when
they are in class. However, there are two problems with this approach.
First, the distraction impact is not limited to the student who is surfing
in class. It impacts other students around them. Second, in my experience,
attendance is consistently the variable that is most highly correlated with
student grades. Sorry if this educational philosophy tangent isn't
appropriate for this forum, but I have always been frustrated by IT managers
and vendors who assume that more technology in the classroom is always a
good thing.

dm