From: The EDUCAUSE Wireless Issues Constituent Group Listserv
[mailto:wireless-...@listserv.educause.edu] On Behalf Of Tristan Rhodes
Sent: Monday, December 06, 2010 2:57 PM
To: WIRELESS-LAN@LISTSERV.EDUCAUSE.EDU
Subject: Re: [WIRELESS-LAN] Mount hidden or in plain view in dorms?

Funny you mention that story.  We purchased over a hundred AP-2000
access points from Proxim (was Lucent).  These were 802.11b and used
PCMCIA cards as well.  The idea was that we could simply upgrade the
cards when we wanted 802.11g.  However, despite the original plan we
never upgraded those units and eventually replaced them with Cisco 1130
access points.

Cheers!

Tristan

Tristan Rhodes
Network Engineer
Weber State University
(801) 626-8549

<20101203034606.29b4116b109b_cf867...@fishing1.weber.edu>, Mike King
<m...@mpking.com> wrote:
> I remember one case of "vandalism".  It was back in 2004 and we were
> using Enterasys R2 units (They used PCMCIA cards), when the G
spectrum
> was just becoming popular.
>
> One enterprising student removed the Enterasys 802.11b card, and
> replaced it with an 802.11g card.  Unfortunately for the student,
that
> didn't work exactly as he planned.  The unit was still up, just not
> working, took us a while to diagnose the problem.  That wing of the
> dorm had no wireless for almost a week.
>

> On Thu, Dec 2, 2010 at 2:33 PM, Fleming, Tony <t.flem...@tcu.edu>
wrote:
>> Crew,
>>
>> We hide our access points above ceiling grids. Our logic is the
devices are
>> out of site and less prone to vandalism (in fact we have had zero
>> vandalism).
>>
>> One concern that has been expressed by our wireless team is the
congestion
>> above the ceiling grid – pipes, HVAC ducting, lighting and cables.
It is
>> logical that all of these obstructions do not help RF propagation
and create
>> sources of interference.
>>

>> My question for you guys:
>>
>> Did any of you change your mounting locations from above ceiling
grid to
>> below the grid (visible)?
>>
>>                 Did you notice substantial signal improvement?
>>
>>                 What is the vandalism rate?
>>
>>                 Did your facilities/administrative folks express
any
>> concerns about the AP visibility?

EDUCAUSE