The RF design gets a little difficult if you have long straight hallways lined with AP's. Too many AP's hearing each other causes problems for channel and power planning. Placing them in the rooms made sense for us from an accountability perspective as well as for a more manageable RF design.

Joe

On 03/17/2011 12:31 PM, John Kaftan wrote:

I have always thought we would install in the hallways. For those of you who have said they install in student rooms I'd like to understand when and why you do so. I've assumed that we would want to always have access in case an AP goes south.

John Kaftan

Infrastructure Manager

Utica College

315.792.3102

*From:*The EDUCAUSE Wireless Issues Constituent Group Listserv [mailto:WIRELESS-LAN@LISTSERV.EDUCAUSE.EDU] *On Behalf Of *Peter P Morrissey
*Sent:* Thursday, March 17, 2011 12:23 PM
*To:* WIRELESS-LAN@LISTSERV.EDUCAUSE.EDU
*Subject:* Re: [WIRELESS-LAN] AP Enclosure

We're going on about 3,000 installed, and I think one may have been vandalized. Our students love their wireless and seem to understand what makes it possible. There is clearly no ROI for enclosures. You can install a lot of extra wireless connectivity for the price you would pay for the enclosures and invest in a couple of spares for insurance. Hall phones are another matter. Those get destroyed on a regular basis.

Pete M.