From what I can tell they use the MAC address as a base identifier; in a mesh the system identifies the device and somehow decides and which AP has a better signal/connection. Unmeshed APs simply "hold on" to the device until the signal becomes too weak when another AP would be picked up by the computer.

Ekahau has a free WiFi heatmap that we use to identify weak areas. There are many more out there but I like free and it does a good job for us. It is passive in nature.

Harry Rauch Sr. Network Analyst Eckerd College 4200 - 54th Ave S St. Petersburg, FL 33711

On 8/17/11 10:38 AM, Johnson, Bruce T. wrote:
The question I have had with Ruckus is how their APs coordinate their
beamforming activities so as to not contend for the same clients. It seems
there would need to be a control plane to avoid AP contention.

How does one survey for these APs? Do you factor in the beamforming (unicast
frames, active survey) or not (broadcast frames, and passive survey)?

Thanks,

Bruce T. Johnson | Network Engineer | Partners Healthcare
617.726.9662 | bjohns...@partners.org

-----Original Message-----
From: Lee H Badman [lhbad...@syr.edu]
To: WIRELESS-LAN@LISTSERV.EDUCAUSE.EDU [WIRELESS-LAN@LISTSERV.EDUCAUSE.EDU]
Subject: Re: [WIRELESS-LAN] Ruckus

Agreed- and it is fascinating stuff.
From: The EDUCAUSE Wireless Issues Constituent Group Listserv
[WIRELESS-LAN@LISTSERV.EDUCAUSE.EDU] On Behalf Of Brian Helman
[bhel...@salemstate.edu]
Sent: Wednesday, August 17, 2011 9:59 AM
To: WIRELESS-LAN@LISTSERV.EDUCAUSE.EDU

Lee, one thing to be aware of is that these other companies (Ruckus, Xirrus,
etc) use arrays, not access points.  So there are multiple radios per unit.  On
a per-radio basis, the number of users may be similar to a single access point
(we’ve found it to be higher by about 20-30%), but collectively you can get a
good number of users per unit.

Another thing to consider is the wiring to feed the AP.  If you have an AP
running 11n, do you give it a 100Mbs connection or 1Gbs?  Which is the bigger
waste of bandwidth? Now take a multi-radio device and ask the same question.
If you have 4 radios @ 11n each, then a 1Gbs connection scales perfectly.  Now
the downside is, what if you only need to support 10-15 users.  An array is
overkill.

-Brian