We found one issue to be the MTU. We did recommend to the students that
wired is much faster. We did completely solve the wireless issue for all
the game consoles by migrating to a different vendor. No issues and near
wire speeds without killing the wireless for other devices. We had planned
the switch over earlier and this has been one of the unintended benefits.

On Wed, Nov 9, 2011 at 12:47 PM, Reilly Steele <reilly.ste...@wwu.edu>wrote:

> I am a student employee at Western Washington University ResTek and we are
> having trouble getting PS3s connected to our wireless network.
>
> We have just rolled out the first phase of our wireless project this year
> covering half of our residence halls with wireless service. We have three
> SSIDs one secure with 802.1x/WPA2, one open with web auth, and one open
> that only associates with client MACs that have been registered on our
> website. The last SSID is the one we use for browserless devices and game
> consoles. Initially we could not successfully connect Wiis or PS3s to this
> wireless SSID. We fixed the Wii problem by enabling the 2Mb transfer speed
> on the APs that the Wii seems to prefer however this did not fix our PS3
> connection issue. If you have had any trouble, luck, tricks or tips for
> getting PS3s working on your wireless networks I would love to hear about
> them.
>
> This is the hardware we are running currently:
>  1  Cisco Wireless Control System (WCS)
>  1  Cisco 3310 Mobility Services Engine (MSE)
>  3  Cisco 5508 Wireless LAN Controllers (WLC)
> 426  Cisco AIR-CAP3502I-A-K9 A/B/G/N APs
>
> Thanks!
> -Reilly Steele
>

> Reilly Steele
> ResTek Network Consultant