From: <Johnson>, Neil Johnson
<neil-john...@uiowa.edu<mailto:neil-john...@uiowa.edu>>
Date: Friday, July 6, 2012 9:26 AM
To:
"WIRELESS-LAN@LISTSERV.EDUCAUSE.EDU<mailto:WIRELESS-LAN@LISTSERV.EDUCAUSE.EDU>"
<WIRELESS-LAN@LISTSERV.EDUCAUSE.EDU<mailto:WIRELESS-LAN@LISTSERV.EDUCAUSE.EDU>>
Subject: Re: [WIRELESS-LAN] Apple Petition (Was Re: [WIRELESS-LAN] You knew it
was coming...Airplay/Apple TV support for instructors.)

I've added a section on solution criteria:

Whereas, we the undersigned academic and research institutions are receiving
numerous requests from our faculty, staff, and students for the ability to
utilize Airplay technology in classrooms, conference rooms, and other
locations, hereby solemnly request that Apple provide support for Airplay
technology in enterprise networks.

Specifically, we request the following (in order of priority):

  *   That Apple establish a way for the Apple TV (and other Airplay enabled
devices) to be discoverable across multiple IPv4 and IPv6 subnets, or lacking
that:
  *   That Apple establish a way for the Apple TV (and other Airplay enabled
devices) to be easily statically configured to be accessible across multiple
IPv4 and IPv6 subnets
  *   That the Apple TV support Enterprise Wireless Encryption and
Authentication (WPA2-Enterprise)
  *   That authentication to the Apple TV be able to utilize enterprise
authentication services (LDAP and/or AD)

Any enterprise Airplay solution needs to meet the following criteria:

  *   It must scale to 100's-1000's of Airplay enabled devices.
  *   It must  not significantly negatively impact network traffic (wired and
wireless).
  *   It must be easily manageable at scale.
  *   It must be provided at a reasonable cost

Failure to provide this support severely limits the usefulness (and
desirability) of Apple products in our institutions.

At your earliest convenience please provide us with a roadmap for support of
Airplay and related technologies in enterprise wireless environments.

Thank you.

--
Neil Johnson
Network Engineer