We have:

-          Open wireless SSID for onboarding only.  SMS text message
credentials.  Soon to add .mobileconfig one click provisioning feature.

-          Single WPA2 enterprise SSID for student, staff, guests - Freeradius
detects ldap attributes and steers user groups towards certain vlans which
leads to specific access permissions (controlled by router acls and firewall
rules).

-          eduroam - Freeradius again steers folks based upon role

  It has served us fairly well and I personally love not having an open network
for anything besides onboarding (plus we think it meets HEOA compliance).  The
one click provisioning should alleviate the last of the usability complaints
(hopefully).

  Adam
  Temple University