Lee,

(Off the record).

We purchased five "eyes" as a pilot.

The product shows a lot of promise, but we have had the following issues:

1.  Access to raw data is limited which results in the following:
  a. We found that their "Radio Attach Success Rate" measurement doesn't
breakout into detail where a failure occurred (802.11 Auth, 802.11 Assoc,
802.1x Auth, DHCP success, etc.).  We discovered that if the "eye" sent a probe
request to an AP and didn't get a probe response, it considered that a failure.
However, an AP may not send a probe response to every probe request if it is
trying to band steer or load balance clients, but will still respond to an
802.11 Auth request.  This led us to see skewed results.

b. Reports of high a % of 802.11 frame retry rates, did not report the total
number of frames, so one could not determine if  a 50% retry rate meant on 1
out 2 frames  or 5,000 out of 10,000 frames.

The 7signals folks have taken this as feedback and looking to make changes to
correct this.

2. They are a really small company. Up until a week ago they only really had
one technical person evaluating data and making recommendations for changes for
all their customers.
They are adding staff to correct this.

3. They are using the linux "wpa_supplicant" to test 802.1X Authentication. We
found that the supplicant doesn't always reliably work which leads to false
"radio attach errors".

4. They don't have a way to verify the operation of their "eyes". We believe
that we have a faulty antenna in one of ours "eyes" (if we rotate the "eye", we
get different results), but convincing them there is a problem has been
difficult.

5. They are really "hungry" for sales and They seem to be focused on trying to
get you cover your campus with "eyes", but as an academic institution that is
cost prohibitive.  They seem less interested in you purchasing a few "eyes" to
place in strategic areas or to rotate between problem areas.

All in all, the ideas behind the product are a good ones, and if they can
adjust their expectations and make some minor improvements to their data
collection backend and GUI interface I think it can be a really useful product.

-Neil

--
Neil Johnson
Network Engineer