From: The EDUCAUSE Wireless Issues Constituent Group Listserv
[mailto:WIRELESS-LAN@LISTSERV.EDUCAUSE.EDU] On Behalf Of Ashfield, Matt
(NBCC)
Sent: Thursday, February 20, 2014 11:45 AM
To: WIRELESS-LAN@LISTSERV.EDUCAUSE.EDU
Subject: [WIRELESS-LAN] open guest access?

Hello,

I'm just wondering what people are doing in terms of guest access
authentication. We are currently doing web-portal auth with guest accounts,
but with the advent of free wifi all over the place, I'm wondering why we
are forcing our guests to authenticate if we are only offering "internet"
services to them?

Obviously, authentication is great for tracking down users during incidents,
but I'm wondering what the legal obligation is, particularly for those of us
in Canada? Why can Tim Horton's do it, but not us?

Any info/advice is appreciated.

Thanks

Matt Ashfield

NBCC