From: The EDUCAUSE Wireless Issues Constituent Group Listserv
[WIRELESS-LAN@LISTSERV.EDUCAUSE.EDU] on behalf of Coehoorn, Joel
[jcoeho...@york.edu]
Sent: Friday, September 12, 2014 9:13 AM
To: WIRELESS-LAN@LISTSERV.EDUCAUSE.EDU
Subject: Re: [WIRELESS-LAN] guest wireless

I will admit to having a completely open guest network. We don't even require a
terms of service click-through, and it's not encrypted. We do have some strict
throttling for file sharing/p2p traffic, and I have some decent auditing
capabilities, so I can track down violations and restrict them later if needed,
but that's about it. We do the same throttling and auditing on the regular
network

Our Admissions and Advancement offices *love* this: a candidate or guest comes
on campus, and their device just works: never any 802.1x issues, never a
problem with sponsorships or authentication. We're in a residential
neighborhood, but I've learned not to worry about neighbors using our wifi:
it's really a drop in the bucket. No one uses bandwidth like a college student
uses bandwidth, and as I'm one of those who live just across the street, I can
testify that leeching wifi from the college is a horrible personal wifi
experience (also: before I came here and I had an hour long commute, and I can
say that walking across the street to get to your office is *awesome*).

We do strongly encourage students/staff/faculty to use the encrypted option,
and the vast majority do on their laptops now, and some on their phones, but
students love the open network for things like smart TVs, blu-ray players, etc.
They feel this makes our network *better*. We have some game consoles on the
open network, but Residence Life encourages students to plug those into a wired
port (even providing cat5 cables at times), and many take them up on this.

Really, the reason behind this policy is that we DO want to be "a hotspot for
any neighbors or people wandering by". We want to be part of the community, and
welcoming to guests.

I am concerned about my CALEA exposure, but as a small school we've never had a
request for data. This may some day force us to make a policy change, but in
the meantime, I'd have a revolt on my hands if I ever tried to do away with the
open SSID.

[http://www.york.edu/mvptall.jpg]

Joel Coehoorn
Director of Information Technology
York College, Nebraska
402.363.5603
jcoeho...@york.edu<mailto:jcoeho...@york.edu>

[http://www.york.edu/Portals/0/Images/Logo/YorkCollegeLogoSmall.jpg]

The mission of York College is to transform lives through Christ-centered
education and to equip students for lifelong service to God, family, and society

On Fri, Sep 12, 2014 at 8:49 AM, Timothy Fairlie