From: The EDUCAUSE Wireless Issues Constituent Group Listserv
[mailto:WIRELESS-LAN@LISTSERV.EDUCAUSE.EDU] On Behalf Of Hinson, Matthew P
Sent: Thursday, January 22, 2015 2:27 PM
To: WIRELESS-LAN@LISTSERV.EDUCAUSE.EDU
Subject: Re: [WIRELESS-LAN] Trying to get the Wi-Fi Alliance's Attention

Lee,

Good write-up. I found myself nodding in agreement frequently as I read along.

The biggest problem I see in the trenches of WLAN administration is a lack of
knowledge about the Alliance at all. Their marketing has been so successful
that “Wi-Fi” has become synonymous with 802.11 wireless networking. I cannot
tell you the number of times a user brings a particular device on our network
that can’t do .1X or some other critical standard. 10/10 times, you can check
the Alliance’s database and find out that it isn’t certified.

Of course, when you explain to them that their device isn’t working, they
immediately default to “Well I’ve never even heard of that Wi-Fi Alliance
thing.”

TL;DR: I see the biggest problem as people not caring whether the device is
certified or not, to say nothing of the quality of said certification.

-Matt

Matthew Hinson
CWAP