We take the position that a residential user should expect a similar
experience to what they would get at home. It's one of the best ways to
prevent residential users from finding ways around bandwidth caps e.g.
free VPN to get around Netflix cap. If Netflix is causing you bandwidth
issues, increase your Internet bandwidth. Internet costs keep going
down, and we've been able to increase our bandwidth with no increase in
cost i.e. when our 1Gb contract was up, moving to 10Gb was the same
price.

1) Check with your local ISP and get them to direct peer with Netflix -
It's Free - everyone should do it. Our regional EDU ISP did this for
us.
2) Talk with Netflix about one of their local caching appliances.

https://openconnect.itp.netflix.com/

Jeff

>>> On Thursday, March 19, 2015 at 8:46 AM, in message
<dm2pr0101mb1005ea65a6295a939459fcd5be...@dm2pr0101mb1005.prod.exchangelabs.com>,
"Alexander, David" <alexa...@ohio.edu> wrote:

I wanted to know if Netflix has been a problem for other schools,
specifically those with large residential campuses.

We’ve seen usage on our campus grow a lot over the past few years, and
our response has been to implement a bandwidth cap on Netflix from 8 am
to 10 pm.  This pretty much makes Netflix unusable during the day.  When
we lift the bandwidth cap at night, Netflix takes up around 40% of our
total traffic.

I’m curious if other schools are dealing with Netflix bandwidth issues
and what solutions you have implemented that allows students to enjoy
Netflix without impacting the usability of the network.

Thanks,
Dave