Dexter,

Are high bitrate streams from mobile devices really a big concern? I would
think most devices would communicate the device type either by user-agent or
the platform specific app and the stream provider would have built in the
intelligence to optimize the stream size.

While wanting to deliver the best experience I think content providers are also
faced with the problem of bandwidth expense and would look anywhere and
everywhere to lighten the load, hence adaptive bitrate streams. This also goes
back to the user experience issue. Netflix knows that trying to stuff a 4k
stream through a weak wireless signal on a phone will likely provide a crappy
user experience at a higher cost and therefore have built-in the adaptability
to provide the best quality that is appropriate for the receiver which often
means lowering the bitrate.

(PS, I’m curious about your experience with those shapers, the PS10000 here is
quite long in the tooth)

Jason Watts | Senior Network Administrator

PRATT INSTITUTE
Academic Computing