We're looking at our options with wireless as well, so this is of interest to
me. We have all Juniper wireless, and since they're getting out of the wireless
game, this is an opportunity to make a large change rather than just switching
vendors and sticking with the same architecture.

We've tossed around #1, but we worry it would come back on us and cause more
trouble than it solves. Everyone brings a router and everyone's wireless is
stepping on everyone else's wireless, and we'll get the blame for it not
working well. We have apartments on campus that have an off-campus experience -
they pay utilites, etc and are not on the school network but get cable
internet. The boxes supplied by the cable company are all set to channel 6, so
everyone had slow, unreliable service (except the few smart enough to change
the channel). Even though we're not supposed to have any responsibility there,
we (IT) had to end up working with the cable company to resolve the issue. If
these routers belong to students, all we could say is "change your channel or
talk to the guy in the room next door and see if he will".

For managed services, at our size (1,300 students on one campus) the costs
always seem to be too high compared to running it ourselves. We don't have a
large enough staff to reduce headcount if we outsourced wireless, and I can't
justify a large jump in spending on wireless.

One thing I would like to see from vendors is more cheap ( like <$200) devices
that can help fill in gaps. We have a number of small holes that we can't yet
justify putting in one of our usual devices. For example, decades ago, one res
hall was remodeled and a small addition was added to include an elevator,
stairwell, and 2 single occupancy rooms on each floor. Because this was an
addition, a solid brick wall separates these rooms from other rooms in the
hall, so they get no wireless. It's painful to put in a device for just 2
students.

Thomas Carter
Network and Operations Manager
Austin College