As a public institution in the EDU sector we always had a byod policy in our
dorm network, specifically including „anything You want to connect to the port
in Your room“.

Parameters:
-5k+ dorm rooms (1.8k the largest segment, 20 the smallest)
-120km radius
-at least one (mostly two) RJ45 port per room (cat5-7 to the switch, fiber
afterwards)
-10/100MBit ports (deliberatly did not go for 1GBit at the edge)
-no additional accounting, just dhcp with opt82
-public ips behind reflexive acl (no shaping, etc.)
-uplink via the federal research network
-service neutral (whoever wants to can use a DSL provider also/instead and may
use the inhouse cable from their basement to their room for it)
-one service number (fixed number, forwarded to five cellphones – whoever picks
up first wins)
-managed by ~10 students (pro bono, but with a couple of incentives)

That beeing said, here are a few points why this works for us and is not
generally applicable:
-people have to work together to archive common goals (state, local, university
and dorm administration – technical and administrative staff)
-it does not take much to put a service neutral CAT cable into every room while
they are beeing built/renovated instead of a cheaper telephone cable, but it
does take a joint effort and common goals
-to every dorm room there is a rent/contract, so we know who is „behind“ it and
can make one specific person liable (opt82)
-there are only single-bed rooms (this is a cultural thing and different than
in the US, I guess noone around here would even rent a shared room)
-almost no dorms are adjacent to the classrooms/labs (seamless wireless
coverage/services wouldn’t be possible anyway)
-in order to find enough students (5 for the core team) who will do the
occasionally needed actual work without payment, a balance between demands and
incentives is important

Effect:
-very low capex and extremly low opex for the dorm network [numbers only off
list]
-very limited support calls (maybe 2/week; maybe 10-20 during the
move-in-phase, mostly students from the states asking about the non-existant
login/pw)
-no need to worry about deprication charges or every new feature (regarding
wireless: ABG to N to AC; MIMO, fequency analysis chipsets; 2.4ghz to 5ghz,
wave2)
-the least administrative overhead possible
-none of the students in our networking team had problems finding jobs after
they left (no trouble finding volunteers, very long participation period)
-scalabe system; got us from ~1.2k rooms (back in ’99) within a 1km radius to
5k+ (today) in a 120km radius
-effective support answers („Yes, You can also attach every AP You want to You
port… No, don’t worry, if You are able to understand Your class reading, You
will also understand vendor X’s manual…)
-no secondary discussions (health, etc.)
-plug&play experience for students
-ability to consolidate our attention to more interesting projects; we still
provide wireless (eduroam), but only in common areas  away from the rooms
(ALU/Aruba 6000, now 7210, anything between 124s and 270s except the cloud
based APs)
-over the years we had some (small and larger) dorms outsourced to different
(small and large) companies who provided full wireless-only coverage, standard
management as well as forbidden private wireless, but as our own model proved
technically resiliant and cost-effective time and again, our external partners
solutions didn‘t

Basically our setup could be exactly what Your administrative staff/board is
aiming for.
My personal message to them would be to first and foremost take an honest look
at how and why things are the way they are.
If they just argue out of a mix of intuition and auserity, their good
intentions will cause a fail (probably utterly and completely, like many others
before).
It is possible to run a cost effective plug&play network, with a high
satisfaction rate amoung students (EDU did that long before the BYOD marketing
hype). But that requires a high level of cooperation (belivers, ideally who
themselves lived in dorms and remember how student life can be), common goals,
success in overcoming obstacles and also constant vigilance and re-evaluation.
From an administrative and oversight point of view this is a lot more and
complex work than finding, distributing and approving funds. For various
reasons it is also not always something that can be implemented everywhere or
sustained for a meaningful period of time. Therefore it is often better to
honestly deal with the geographic/personal/political reality and to solve the
technical problem with money.
Even if Your board would want to, a change towards a system like ours takes
time. Your institution should definetly not run on an obsolete wireless
infrastructure during that periode (and wear out its staff and cause stir among
students in the process).
Hope this helps to balance the biased view. ;-)

Regards,
Kris