So the Cellular industry is having seminars and investing big on Wi-Fi offload
and some schools are considering LTE offload,
what an irony.

At the end of the day the cost of providing 1 byte over LTE is much higher than
the cost 1 byte over Wi-Fi.
(DAS, Microcell, MacroTower, all more expensive than Wi-Fi…and much more
complicated as far as contracting is concerned)

Before doing anything I would first analyze the average monthly bandwidth need
of a student and then do a comparison between
Wi-Fi cost over 5-8 years VS LTE cost (with comparable quality of service).

And BTW, why do we all need to upgrade to 802.11ac? (802.11n  seems perfectly
fine to me)
Because premature EOL is coming upon us?

On another note, having a low capacity/expensive Data Wireless in residence
halls might have interesting side effects:

-Students will watch their shows in class rather at night
-Students will start reading books again in their rooms
-Students will hang around campus late at night just to have Wi-Fi access (do
you plan to shutdown campus Wi-Fi after hours ? ;-)
-Students will meet in hallways and talk to each other rather using Social Media
-No need to filter peer-to-peer in residence halls, no one can afford to
download anything

But here my main concern…how will you enable eduroam on Cellular? ;-)

Philippe

Philippe Hanset
www.eduroam.us