Not a POE/Network/Camera related story, but lightning related and therefore
relevant. Sometimes there is nothing you can do to predetermine an electrons
choice of a path to ground.
In my early days I worked as a broadcast engineer at a CBS Television network
affiliate in severe thunderstorm country. We had a 500’ tower with copper
transmission line feeding the VHF antenna. Imagine an 8” copper water line with
a 1” copper line down the middle with Teflon spacers at about 4’ intervals.
This tower had an intricate grounding system at the base and each of the guy
line anchors with a very large lightning rod at the top.
Nonetheless, a magnificent storm rolled in one spring afternoon with the
typical light and sound show accompaniment. After the rain stopped and the hair
had settled back into place we accessed the damaged. The transmitter wouldn’t
come back on with a shiny indicator pointing to a fault in the output.
Long story short, one of the 8” diameter ½” thick Teflon insulators was melted
(the melting point of Teflon is somewhere south of the surface of the sun) and
two had been turned into lovely gray dust coating the inside of the outer line.
We were down for several days cleaning up the mess, and considered ourselves
lucky at that.
Lightning!!!

Colin Daniel
Network Systems Manager