From: The EDUCAUSE Wireless Issues Constituent Group Listserv
[mailto:WIRELESS-LAN@LISTSERV.EDUCAUSE.EDU] On Behalf Of Dale W. Carder
Sent: Tuesday, March 1, 2016 12:43 PM
To: WIRELESS-LAN@LISTSERV.EDUCAUSE.EDU
Subject: Re: [WIRELESS-LAN] Self-registered MAC device bypass- worth the
headaches?

Thus spake Lee H Badman (lhbad...@syr.edu) on Tue, Mar 01, 2016 at 06:19:55PM
+0000:
> Interesting discussion- so on the free and open WLAN, do you send them off to
> only the Internet, and deny important apps on campus? Do you require VPN or
> 2-factor for  bursar account access etc from that network?

We do block things that I would characterize as ddos amplification vectors, and
we block inbound SYN so discourage (unintentional) servers.
We have started to look into some filtering capabilities on a firewall where
there is some sort of blacklist for known malware sites (I am highly skeptical
of such things, but if we can do it for low cost and provide a high value to
our users, so be it).

VPN is pretty much not used in the general case.  Security is handled at the
application layer.  Your IP address is not an authorization token, and none of
the few hundred virtual firewalls we run blindly allow much of anything through
be it from wireless or from dept 'a' to dept 'b'.

Dale