University of Texas at Austin

Stats below taken from March 29 (last Tuesday), which is a typical "busy day" for us. (Tuesdays are usually our busiest day of the week, network-activity-wise.)

58,259 distinct users (802.1x authenticated sessions using University ID's)
  - includes faculty, students, staff, and certain affiliates
  - 112,366 distinct devices (MAC addrs) seen on our main campus WLAN
  - between 48k-83k peak concurrent connected devices
    - 48,315 as seen from Airwave
- 56,596 as seen from netflow (IP addrs actively sending/receiving data)
    - 83,013 as seen from assigned DHCP leases (30 min lease time)

Guest/visitor WiFi access on our campus is handled via 3rd party
  - separate SSID carried as another WLAN on our controllers/WAPs
  - terminates in 3rd party provider's captive portal system
  - 359,041 distinct devices (MAC addrs) seen associated to the guest WLAN
    - unknown how many actually used it (vs. "drive-by" associations)
  - 3,445 peak concurrent connected devices (as seen from Airwave)
    - traffic/dhcp stats unknown - handled by 3rd party provider

7,267 AP's, all Cisco, using WiSM-2 controllers
  - 4,432 w/ 802.11ac (AP2700/3700)
  - 2,835 w/ 802.11n (AP1140/3500/3600)

Using combination of Airwave and some home-grown tools for management

Cheers,
Jason