With mandatory rates, the higher you go the more issues you can see and the
advantages of more airtime suffer diminishing returns.  Since the lowest
mandatory is where control frames get sent, it can have some pretty serious
impact.  Pushing higher than 24 should be done with some good airtime analysis
that most controllers won't give you. When you watch Mac laptops spam control
frames like RTS and BAR at 6Mbps and it go unack'd from the AP because of data
rates, things can go sideways pretty fast.  For more resiliency, keeping lower
OFDM rates enabled helps clients with poor supplicants have good experiences.

And most NMS and controllers can't see the issues because the AP isn't
registering the frames sent at unsupported rates.  This leads to performance
issues that you probably won't see and are hard to quantify.

Trimming DSSS and HR-DSSS rates (1,2,5.5,11) are a good idea if you can, but I
would advise getting crazy trimming rates beyond that.

My general recommendation is 12Mbps as minimum in 2.4GHz and 6 as the minimum
for 5GHz.  This is a reasonable starting place with good overall device
compatibility.  Obviously in LPV and stadiums are exceptions to this advise.

Thanks
Jake Snyder

Sent from my iPhone