Hector, All,

Your question about SMS gateway and a previous thread about “less SSIDs”
reminds me to inform this community about a pilot project
that we have implemented for eduroam connected schools.
The eduroam SSID doesn’t handle ALL guests, so we have created a pilot project
to allow eduroam enabled schools
to independently handle their non-education guests onto the eduroam SSID using
SMS and EAP-TLS certificate per guest device.
(it doesn’t break the eduroam trust fabric since each school opts-in). Similar
initiatives are going on in other eduroam countries (Japan, Netherlands, …).

How to test this?
Go to www.eduroam.us and authenticate as Admin. Under “administration” pick
“enable ANYROAM”.
This will allow your school to welcome guests onto your eduroam SSID with
EAP-TLS certificates in the form "unique-h...@pilot.anyroam.net”
Since the REALM is always the same, you can assign these guests to any
VLAN/subnet that you deem appropriate.

How to get an ANYROAM certificate/profile? go to http://anyroam.cloudpath.net.
The certificate is good for one year so that guests don’t have to constantly
have to be configured. You can test this briefly for yourself as an admin and
turn it off when you desire. Be careful though, the profile will take over your
existing eduroam config,
so you will have to delete the ANYROAM profile and re-install yours.
(you submit your phone number, you then get an SMS with a unique pwd, you then
get automatically configured with an EAP-TLS-eduroam profile with an outer
identity of the form unique-h...@pilot.anyroam.net)

We hope that the side effect of this service will be to easily handle secure
guests access for schools with less SSIDs used, and also to promote the spread
of the eduroam SSID beyond the campus.
(a coffee shop could now support the eduroam SSID and welcome students,
faculty, staff, and users with ANYROAM identities).
More features will come later on … stay tuned!

Let us know if you have questions,

Philippe

Philippe Hanset
www.eduroam.us