Brian,

At Liberty University, we are a Cisco shop. In 2008, we moved from Cisco fat
APs with Clean Access to Aruba APs with Aruba ECS (Bradford Campus Manager ->
Network Sentry) for wireless & Cisco wired NAC. The product & support were
later moved to the generic Campus Manager.

In late 2011, a few issues cause us to look for a different authentication &
NAC solution.

1.      We ended up with Bradford’s  Network Sentry Manager controlling 3
server node pairs. At that time, this solution did not scale well. Each node
evaluated a client differently, with no information sharing between nodes.

2.      Bradford’s support pricing increased to Cisco support levels., even
after getting them to not charge virtual ip addresses as separate servers.
There were also other negotiation issues regarding support pricing.

3.      As we started moving to an 802.1X wireless & wired network, we found
that, at that time the Bradford solution did not prioritize user roles and
therefore would not suit our needs.

4.      There was a movement from internal IT management to move away from a
remediation NAC solution due to customer experience & the internal resources
needed to support a NAC solution.

5.      We desired a wireless Guest management solution.

6.      Aruba purchased AmigoPod & Avenda. Their engineering department worked
with us in setting up a ClearPass Proof-of-concept environment, configured for
our environment.

In 2012, we moved from Bradford to ClearPass. We now use ClearPass for
wireless, wireless guest, and Cisco wired. We use ClearPass APIs with our own
custom portal server for 802.1X onboarding with CloudPath Wizard & mac device
registration for non-802.1X systems such as game consoles.

For an Aruba shop, the AirGroup integration between Aruba wireless & ClearPass
is a definite plus. AirGroup is Aruba’s solution for Apple AirPlay & other
streaming devices. We have had good success supporting Apple TVs. We will soon
add support for Chromecast & Roku.

​​​​​Feel free to contact me ofline for additional information.

Bruce Osborne
Wireless Engineer
IT Network Services - Wireless

(434) 592-4229

LIBERTY UNIVERSITY
Training Champions for Christ since 1971