From: The EDUCAUSE Wireless Issues Constituent Group Listserv
[mailto:WIRELESS-LAN@LISTSERV.EDUCAUSE.EDU] On Behalf Of Eric LaCroix
Sent: Friday, September 16, 2016 4:24 PM
To: WIRELESS-LAN@LISTSERV.EDUCAUSE.EDU
Subject: Re: [WIRELESS-LAN] Utility Poles

Even for lights not centrally switched (perhaps always-on, locally
photocell-controlled) there’s also the issue of what kind of power is
available at the poles. Our outdoor lights are 277 volt LED. At the very
least, if you’re able to find a product to give you the power you need from
that voltage, it’s probably going to be prohibitively expensive, and
certainly not pretty on the pole. Your elegant lamp posts from the gaslight
era will end up looking like those “tree” cell towers. Haha!

Happy Friday.

Eric LaCroix, Director of Technology, New Hampton School

70 Main Street • New Hampton, NH 03256

On 9/16/16, 3:53 PM, "The EDUCAUSE Wireless Issues Constituent Group
Listserv on behalf of Watters, John" <WIRELESS-LAN@LISTSERV.EDUCAUSE.EDU on
behalf of john.watt...@ua.edu
<mailto:WIRELESS-LAN@LISTSERV.EDUCAUSE.EDU%20on%20behalf%20of%20john.watt...@ua.edu>

 > wrote:

    The main problem we have with doing this is getting a second power feed
int=

    o the poles. All of our utilities are underground. And, all light poles
are=

     decorative black things without any visible wires (it all comes in
undergr=

    ound). To make it worse, all lights are on a central switch which means
tha=

    t there is no power to the poles until the lights come on. Thus, the
reason=

     for a separate power feed so wireless could run independently of the
light=

    s. Also, light power typically loops into a pole and then back out to
the n=

    ext pole in the run, thus filling up the access holes with twice as many
wi=

    res as would be desired (by us anyway), and leaving little room to get
anot=

    her power wire in (and also maybe back out) plus a small fiber cable.=20

    Underground utilities look good but can cause problems with needing
additio=

    nal wiring added for nice stuff such as you mentioned.

    John Watters

    Network Engineer, Office of Information Technology

    The University of Alabama

    A115 Gordon Palmer Hall

    Box 870346=20

    Tuscaloosa, AL 35487=20