From: The EDUCAUSE Wireless Issues Constituent Group Listserv
[mailto:WIRELESS-LAN@LISTSERV.EDUCAUSE.EDU] On Behalf Of Watters, John
Sent: Friday, October 28, 2016 9:28 AM
To: WIRELESS-LAN@LISTSERV.EDUCAUSE.EDU
Subject: Re: [WIRELESS-LAN] Question about Cisco 1810w APs in residential
buildings

On a tangentially related subject we are using Cisco 702Ws under the table tops
in large auditorium-style classrooms with good success so far. The fixed
seating tables have a cable tray that runs from one aisle to the next that we
use to run our wiring. There is another cell in this tray that caries power to
standard 110 VAC outlets that are under the back of the table between every
pair of seats. We position the AP on a half depth plastic wall outlet box
between the cable tray and the front modesty shield. No damages by kicking or
knees so far. In our testing you seem to hurt yourself before you hurt the APs.
With power cut way down and most of the 2.4 GHz radios cut off they seem to
offer good coverage and performance. Also cheaper, easier to service, and
visually more appealing (you can’t see them) that high ceiling mounted APs,
with or without external antennas. We will use 1810Ws for the next room like
this. The 1810Ws are slightly wider and longer, but still would have fit in the
space that we had to work with using the 702Ws.

BTW, there is a kit available (Cisco AIR-SEC-50=) that fits both the 702Ws &
the 1810Ws. It contains 50 of the miniscule security screws that hold the AP on
the mounting plate and 50 RJ45 plugs (with a set of 2 keys) that can block the
wired Ethernet ports. The 702W has 4 RJ45 ports and the 1810W has 5. The kit is
priced at $129 list -- sort of pricey for 50 screws (which is why we had to buy
a couple of these).

John Watters
Network Engineer, Office of Information Technology
The University of Alabama<https://www.ua.edu/>
A115 Gordon Palmer Hall
Box 870346
Tuscaloosa, AL 35487