From: The EDUCAUSE Wireless Issues Constituent Group Listserv
[mailto:WIRELESS-LAN@LISTSERV.EDUCAUSE.EDU] On Behalf Of Jake Snyder
Sent: Wednesday, November 30, 2016 4:40 PM
To: WIRELESS-LAN@LISTSERV.EDUCAUSE.EDU
Subject: Re: [WIRELESS-LAN] 5GHz Channel Width

One things to keep in mind is that certain device manufacturers preference
wider channels.  Apple in the Mac OS X products for instance, will always
prefer an 80MHz channel over a 40MHz channel.  As well as a 40MHz channel over
a 20MHz channel.  Things like DBS can lead to stickier clients, as you are now
mixing channel widths.  This leads you to trying things like Opt-R in order to
force now sticky clients to other APs, which will likely be less successful
since OS X doesn’t support 802.11v.  This means DEAUTH, ironically which the OS
X devices don’t handle as well as their PC brethren…

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT206207

Selection criteria for band, network, and roam candidates
OS X always defaults to the 5GHz band over the 2.4GHz band, as long as the RSSI
for a 5GHz network is -68 dBm or better.
If multiple 5GHz SSIDs meet this level, OS X chooses a network based on these
criteria:
1.   802.11ac is always preferred over 802.11n or 802.11a
2.   802.11n is always preferred over 802.11a
3.   80 MHz channel width is always preferred over 40 MHz or 20 MHz
4.   40 MHz channel width is always preferred over 20 MHz

All in all, I would suggest not doing DBS in OS X heavy environments.  My
preference is to take each building and decide whether it can be leveraged in
20, 40 or 80, and configure the whole building that way.

For how to decide if you can get away with 20 vs 40 vs 80, my preference is to
pick the channels you want to use, and start with a survey.  Let’s say you want
to enable UNII 1 and UNII 3.  That’s 8x 20MHz Channels.  Could i go to 40MHz?
If i can get away with 4 channels, then yes.  Or I could add channels until i
get to the number of channels needed to maintain channels separation.   This
varies wildly based on density of APs in a building.  Eventually you run out of
channels that you can add and then must either deal with co-channel
interference or drop down to a narrower width.

Start with 20MHz
How many channels do i need with my current design to maintain channel
separation? (Survey may be necessary)
Do i have twice that many channels enabled at the current channel width?
If yes, increase channel width to 2x current channel width.
If no, do i feel comfortable adding channels to get to twice that?
If yes, add channels and increase channel width to 2x current channel width.

Hope this helps

Thanks
Jake Snyder

On Nov 30, 2016, at 12:03 PM, Jeffrey D. Sessler