From: "wireless-lan@listserv.educause.edu" <WIRELESS-LAN@LISTSERV.EDUCAUSE.EDU>
on behalf of Philippe Hanset <phan...@anyroam.net>
Date: Friday, April 28, 2017 at 11:14 AM
To: "wireless-lan@listserv.educause.edu" <WIRELESS-LAN@LISTSERV.EDUCAUSE.EDU>
Subject: Re: [WIRELESS-LAN] Eduroam adoption (and migration process)

Jeff,

Why do I say this?
•         Organization - A university can’t assume and/or guarantee that
“eduroam” is administered at another campus in the same way that it is at home.
There is no guarantee of privacy, be it the data collected during
authentication/authorization, or information being sent/received by the client
while traversing the other organization’s network. There is no guarantee user
data won’t be sold, studied, or otherwise used as the organization terminating
the client’s connection sees fit. eduroam is a name only.
•         User – Assumption that “eduroam” away from their home campus is the
same as “eduroam” at another organization. Assumption that there is the same
level of data security, privacy, or other safeguards/guarantees as provided at
home. Assumption that the same resources are available. Assumption “eduroam’
out in the world is superior than connecting to an open network.

Connecting to eduroam is superior to connecting to an open network for at least
4 reasons:
(other may add to the pile)

1-No wasted time “hunting” for an SSID that who knows what it is in a list that
is larger every day (especially for Urban Campuses)
2 -If the network is accepting your RADIUS infrastructure certificate, you know
that you are on a trusted network part of a community
   (I will send another email to respond to the MiTM attack on PEAP and
EAP-TTLS…use the CAT tool to mitigate that, or EAP-TLS if you can afford it)
3-Encryption over the air as part of WPA2-enterprise for guests as a great side
effect
4-The local school knows that if needed, the user can be found (infected
machine, abuse, DMCA, etc…)

I agree that all eduroam networks are not equal, but neither are Open Networks.
It is in the end a guest experience.
I actually have the same with my cellular network… sometimes it is LTE or 4G,
sometimes 3G with very little capacity, even though
it always references the same carrier and I pay the same!
It is our job as Network Operators to inform our users that there is no
guarantee of service

Most Schools tend to give more privileges/bandwidth to eduroam because it is a
community of trust.
So, in most cases you will experience a better experience that classic Open
Guest Networks.

Certainly, some of the data privacy pieces could be mitigated by using a
home-campus VPN while traveling, but now you are creating rules that the
end-user must remember. These rules become confusing when you are in an area
with multiple organizations all broadcasting “eduroam”, where to simplify the
user experience i.e. they can get to the same resources, the default becomes
using VPN all the time. Once you force the use of a VPN, then is “eduroam” any
different than using an open/suest networ
I would prefer to see “eduroam” in the same light as say, using Facebook to
login to other applications i.e. The university advertises that the guest
wireless SSID supports the “eduroam” authentication service. The visiting
person connects to your branded guest SSID using their home college credentials
– understanding that they are bound to your AUP or other local decisions on the
use of their data. There is no confusion about who owns, administers, or
otherwise controls the network the client is connected to and no assumptions
about resource availability.

So for every campus that you visit you have to suffer:
Hunting for the SSID
Trust that SSID
Read the AUP
Share your Social Identity (talk about big data here)
And as a network Operator you have to hope that the Social Identity is somewhat
real!

Schools don’t have time to look at big data for their traveling users or their
guests, and the only info is username@domain or if you want anonymous@domain.
You actually have the choice to anonymize yourself, it is not against any rule.

The same goes for NROs (National Roaming Operators for eduroam), we have all
signed an agreement that we cannot use user data other than troubleshooting and
monitoring unless required by law enforcement.
I doubt that Facebook or any other Social Provider can guarantee that…they make
money out of your data!

Again, if you fear to be tracked on eduroam, definitely anonymize your
outer-identity. It is accepted, and many do it (it can even be done
automatically in the CAT tool).
In case of abuse or infection, a user can be found by contacting the campus of
origin (so you let the IDP decide how to deal with Privacy for their users!).

Finally, there is a reason why the big carriers did a push for
Hotspot2.0/Passpoint. Protocols like 802.1X/WPA2-enterprise are great for
security and authentication (both of the infrastructure
and users), and the guest Wi-Fi industry is moving toward those standards. We
all have done it with eduroam way ahead of the carriers.
The privacy issue with large carriers might be an issue, but we suffer the same
with our Cellphones already.
Privacy and Net Neutrality is at stake every day.

Hope this helps,

Philippe

Philippe Hanset, CEO
www.anyroam.net<http://www.anyroam.net>