From: Lee H Badman [mailto:lhbad...@syr.edu]
Sent: Monday, August 14, 2017 1:29 PM
Subject: Re: EAP-TLS

One interesting trade-off: if I have good AD credentials and pop up a new Mac
or Windows machine without any kind of onboarding in play, I will get on the
network quickly one way or the other with PEAP/MS-CHAPv2. . Maybe I'm prompted
to accept the server, but I'll get on. This is good and bad. I got on, but not
the way that the Security and Network folks might have wanted me to get on-
because the cert stuff is optional with PEAP/MS-CHAPv2 on non-AD machines that
you don't control. That's arguably bad.

But... I got on. And I got authentication and encryption, without IT
intervention. From the user perspective, this is good. I didn't have to
onboard, I didn't need IT help. I wasn't stranded if I didn't understand what
the onboarding SSID is all about, etc.

With TLS- you get properly onboarded, or you're sucking wind until you do. But
once you do, TLS' advantages kick in as described in this thread. But that
"easy on" thing is gone... no matter how simple you make TLS onboarding, it
still requires end users to comprehend it. So, to me, part of going to TLS is
with the understanding that occasionally someone will be stranded by their own
lack of understanding the process, that somebody may be someone important
and/or vocal, the stranding will occur at the worst time of day and in the
worst circumstance in accordance with Murphey's Law, and there will be some
increase in related  trouble calls.

None of this negates TLS' value, but at the same time you have to go into it
with your eyes open to the perspective of the BYOD crowd on campus versus what
they are currently accustomed to.

One man's o-pinion.

-Lee

Lee Badman | Network Architect

Certified Wireless Network Expert (#200) Information Technology Services
206 Machinery Hall
120 Smith Drive
Syracuse, New York 13244
t 315.443.3003   f 315.443.4325   e lhbad...@syr.edu w its.syr.edu SYRACUSE