> This weekend we will onboard probably 50,000 devices for TLS, and for the
most part, it is no longer a huge support issue.  The biggest issues are
around Android.  Just about every other operating system works very easily
(OSX can be a pain, but that revolves around entering a local admin account
password multiple times).  So I would say how big of a problem you will
have will be impacted, to some degree, by predominant client count.
Android is less than 10% of our wireless user base, but is over half the
support calls.  When we switched to SecureW2, this got much better, however.

I like android, but it is definitely the worst of the major platforms to
correctly onboard. Something interesting that is new to the platform is
"instant apps". This lets you run a full app from a link, without
installing the app. Onboarding tools are an excellent use case for this.

No more hitting a captive portal to redirect you to the play store, to go
back to the web page, click a link that opens the apps, blah, blah, blah,
forget to uninstall the now useless app. (Yes, I know not all the on
boarding tools are quite that ugly, but they are generally some variant of
that). With an instant app, you would hit the captive portal, click a link
to setup the profile, and it would just open the app (which you never had
to go to the play store to install), and go from there.

So, Ruckus, Aruba, SecureW2, and others, if you are not already looking at
this, please do. It is only supported on Android 7 (maybe even 7.1) and up,
so it isn't going to help a lot of people *today*, but is definitely will
in the future.

--
Jonathan Waldrep
Network Engineer