From: The EDUCAUSE Wireless Issues Constituent Group Listserv
[mailto:WIRELESS-LAN@LISTSERV.EDUCAUSE.EDU] On Behalf Of Joachim Tingvold
Sent: Wednesday, September 27, 2017 3:44 PM
To: WIRELESS-LAN@LISTSERV.EDUCAUSE.EDU
Subject: Re: [WIRELESS-LAN] Wi-Fi Request for University Conference event

On 27 Sep 2017, at 14:17, Yahya M. Jaber wrote:
> - Would give up my guest SSID through ISE. As still there is no
> feature to increase the idle timeout on the WLC “like the sleeping
> client” which will stop users from complaining about the constant
> login once they go idle “”especially iPhone that turns off WiFi after
> sometime when its on the lock screen!!””…I know that I can increase
> the idle timeout, but that would prevent getting real client count
> from the WLC and PI and might affect the client WLC DB.
> - Would use simple AUP guest SSID with sleeping client timer of 1-4
> days.

Hi,

You should look into CWA (Central Web Authentication), if that’s not already
what you’re looking into. Then you can use MAC-caching, where you can set the
time for how long they should he allowed into the network before needing to
re-enter the username/password. Hence, you can set the idle-timeout to a more
sane value. CWA works with most RADIUS servers (i.e. you don’t specifically
need ISE).

--
Joachim