We have had a few conversations with them but no demo. Basically they use Wi-Fi
logs along with IDM and SIS information to generate classification tables for
student behaviors, then calculate student percentage in each category using
some type of statistical algorithm. They can then feed this information into
your student success system. My opinion is that there are legal/privacy
concerns not to mention PR issues with this type of data mining.

In addition, the U.S. Supreme Court just heard arguments about whether people
have a reasonable expectation of privacy in their location for a lengthy period
of time based on cell site information. The analysis in this case will likely
apply to this type of situation. Currently, the law states that there’s no
reasonable expectation but, at least according to some commentators, the
justices seemed to be concerned by this.

Here’s an article discussing the case:
https://www.nytimes.com/2017/11/29/us/politics/supreme-court-digital-privacy.html

Below are the requirements that we gleamed from the calls:

Wireless data:

  *   Historical syslogs - multiple formats we can receive this
     *   Router MAC Address/ID, timestamp, User MAC Address/ID, User Identity
(if available)
     *   Preferably 6+ months of historical data
  *   Map of network access points
     *   Router ID, building name, Router name (optional), Longitude & Latitude
(preferred, but optional)
IDM:

  *   IDM - historical device ownership, needs to go back as far as network
syslogs
     *   Device MAC address, student ID (or other identifier)
Banner:

  *   Demographic information
     *   Profile features (not limited to): Home state, High school GPA, SATs,
Ethnicity, Gender, Adult learner or Age, First-gen, Scholarship Amount, Pell
Grant, Socio-economic class, Degree - Major/Minor, Degree Type - 2 or 4 year,
Credit Hours, GPA, Transfer Student, Honors, Athlete, University Employment
  *   Class information
     *   Classes: Course name, course times (days of week and hours in day),
course location (historical for length of syslog history)
  *   Student schedule
     *   Student class schedule (historical over length of network history):
course name, semester, course ID, drop/add history (optional)

Feel free to contact me directly if you want to discuss.

Steve

/ Stephen Belcher
Assistant Director of Network Operations
WVU Information Technology Services
(304) 293-8440 office
steve.belc...@mail.wvu.edu