While investigating some “wifi is slow” and “wifi is dropping” complaints, we
noticed deauth/disassociation flooding attacks reported by our wireless IDS.
So far I’ve been able to identity a small percentage of these as local
businesses and other local (non-university affiliated) organizations.  What
strikes me as odd is that a lot of the MAC OUIs from offending devices appear
to be consumer grade wireless devices (Belken, Netgear, eero, etc.).  I’d love
to get a hold of one of these devices and look at its settings to see how it’s
configured.  I’m not a lawyer, but I think this falls under regulation 47 U.S.
Code § 333.

Besides filing a complaint with the FCC, I’m wondering if any of you have
experienced this on your campuses, and if so, how you’ve gone about dealing
with it.  I’m afraid asking the business nicely would just result in a blank
stare, as they would not likely understand the nature of the complaint, or what
their wireless is actually doing.

§333. Willful or malicious interference
No person shall willfully or maliciously interfere with or cause interference
to any radio communications of any station licensed or authorized by or under
this chapter or operated by the United States Government.
(June 19, 1934, ch. 652, title III, §333, as added Pub. L. 101–396, §9, Sept.
28, 1990, 104 Stat. 850.)

Thanks,