From: The EDUCAUSE Wireless Issues Constituent Group Listserv
<WIRELESS-LAN@LISTSERV.EDUCAUSE.EDU> on behalf of Philippe Hanset
<0000005cd62f91b7-dmarc-requ...@listserv.educause.edu>
Date: Friday, April 6, 2018 at 1:55 PM
To: "WIRELESS-LAN@LISTSERV.EDUCAUSE.EDU" <WIRELESS-LAN@LISTSERV.EDUCAUSE.EDU>
Subject: Re: [WIRELESS-LAN] GDPR

Lee,

We have to follow GDPR closely due to the eduroam/Govroam/ANYROAM implications.

Some of the logic behind GDPR is based on the location of the person whether EU
Citizen or not.
GDPR applies to all EU Citizens but also to visitors of the EU, and also to EU
Citizens when using remote services outside of the EU
(e.g. a EU Citizen signing for a Facebook account located on servers in the US
is a GDPR case)

Some edu examples:
1) A EU student registering for school in a US school while being physically in
Europe is a GDPR case!
2) A US student registering for classes while being physically in the EU for an
institution located in the EU (whether the institution is EU or US ownership)
falls under GDPR.

And then each of us has to look if we are  Processor or Controller of the Data
(or both!) and apply rules accordingly.

Philippe

Philippe Hanset, CEO
www.anyroam.net<http://www.anyroam.net>
www.eduroam.us<http://www.eduroam.us>
+1 (865) 236-0770
GPG key id: 0xF2636F9C

On Apr 6, 2018, at 12:52 PM, Lee H Badman