Hi Jess,

I haven't worked with it personally (our university has started to make heavy
use of the Kramer VIAs (https://www.kramerav.com/product/VIA%20Connect%20PRO) -
although I've seen it heavily advertised on my Facebook news feed with several
individuals stating "too expensive/just use a Chromecast" - despite them
providing articles that each device serves a different environment (Enterprise
vs Home) - https://airtame.com/chromecast-alternative

  *   Some of the big things they point out - can supply an IP Address directly
to the Airtame without the need of mDNS/SSDP
     *   Native Screen mirroring from iOS devices still requires multicast
enabled. This was true for our Kramer VIA devices - you had limited
functionality within the iOS Kramer App - if left the app - the connection
would close. However, somehow, Kramer has gotten around this limitation through
their "Kramer Reveal" companion app. Somehow the Kramer Reveal App allows a
user to enter an IP Address - which converts it and allow the iOS device to
discover it as if mDNS was enabled. Pretty nice that they found a way to get
around that limitation -
https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/via-reveal/id1124805001?mt=8
  *   Support from WPA Enterprise Networks (Not sure if just EAP-PEAP, EAP-TLS,
etc)
  *   Cloud/Device Management
  *   Cast locally hosted files/video streams
  *   The Airtame does support an "Ethernet Connection" method.

Almost all of our Kramer VIAs have a detected wired network connection.
Performing screen-mirroring from a wireless client to a wireless server always
makes me nervous as twice the airtime consumed. We've had a couple people
complain about lag  from time to time - when think was attributed to memory
issues on the Kramer. Other folks I feel they're trying to watch/stream a
YouTube video presentation. Another comparison article from Airtame -
https://airtame.com/kramer-via-go-alternative

The only "vendor discussion" I've seen so far In the community forums was
recently on the Airheads community forums concerning an issue with Airtame on
RAPs and NAT - although they were trying to get SSDP/mDNS functionality working
on the RAPs -
http://community.arubanetworks.com/t5/Wireless-Access/Airgroup-Airplay-amp-Airtame-devices-with-RAPS/m-p/410199

Christopher Johnson
Wireless Network Engineer
AT Infrastructure Operations & Networking (ION)
Illinois State University
(309) 438-8444
Stay connected with ISU IT news and tips with @ISU IT Help on
Facebook<https://www.facebook.com/ISUITHelp/> and